ABOUT WORM CASTINGS
WHAT ARE WORM CASTINGS?
Plain and simple--it's worm poop. Sounds gross, right? But just wait 'til you feed worm poop to your plants, they will find it delicious!
Worm castings are the richest natural fertilizer. This amazing rich soil amendment is more popular than ever, and for good reason. As people are becoming more aware of the harmful effects of chemical fertilizers and animal manure, the use of worm castings has increased dramatically. Worm castings are 100% organic, nutrient-rich and environmentally friendly.
A few of the many problems with chemical fertilizers are 1. the toxic chemicals can make their way into your fruits and vegetables, 2. they are detrimental to soil microbiology, and 3. there is the danger of over fertilization, which can not only kill your plants but also upset the entire ecosystem.
Refer to the list below on the many, many benefits of worm castings!
HOW DO I USE WORM CASTINGS?
Worm castings manure can be applied as top dressing, side dressing, or worked into the soil.
Worm tea, the liquid concentrate of worm compost, can also be made from worm castings. Worm tea may not sound too appetizing, but your plants will love it! It is brewed by either soaking a porous bag of worm castings in water or simply dumping the castings into a container of clean, chemical-free water. A more labor-intensive method, but one that produces much better results, is called the Active Aeration method. This method produces a higher count of beneficial microorganisms due to increased O2. Simply spray the worm tea on your plant or pour into soil.
THE BENEFITS OF WORM CASTINGS:
- A fertilizer with naturally balanced, high levels of minerals and nutrients for your garden
- Nutrients from worms castings are absorbed almost instantaneously by plants, faster than nutrients from animal manure and chemical fertilizers
- Helps grow bigger, tastier vegetables
- Helps grow more colorful blooms and stronger stems in flower beds
- Increases water retention in soil
- Increases drought resistance
- Improves soil aeration and drainage
- 100% organic, 100% non-toxic
- Does not burn plants or seedlings, unlike animal manure
- A slow-release fertilizer, which makes it very difficult to over fertilize and harm your plants
- Eliminates the use of chemical fertilizers
- Causes no ground water contamination